Family Photo 2012

Family Photo 2012

Friday, January 21, 2011

No more holding hands

So I decided to drive the boys to school this morning...for several reasons - 1. 15 minutes extra sleep is never a bad thing 2. The boys bus never arrives at the same time twice, thus leaving us all standing outside forever 3. I wanted to see if it could be done and still get to work on time.

Tanner and JJ were all for it. It meant they could watch some cartoons this morning. Lucas gets driven every day, so he didn't care of course. Hayden was not impressed.

The Y is right beside the older boys school, so they walked from the Y parking lot over to their school while I took Lucas into the preschool. Hayden grudgingly walked in with us, although he was not happy to be tagging along on this adventure.

However, once he got in the car and it was only he and I, he was much more excited because he was going to give me directions to his school. I was not to listen to "that other voice" (aka GPS). Although I really don't think I would have needed to use the GPS and it's in Justin's car so no worry there. He successfully guided me to his school and we parked in the designated area for school drop-off.

He jumped out of the car, grabbed my hand, and we ran down the sidewalk. However, as we got near the corner, he stopped and said, "You can stop holding my hand now". I asked him if this was because he didn't want his friends to see him holding his mom's hand. He answered yes. I told him that this was fine. Then he turned to me and said, "You really don't need to walk with me from here either. You can just watch me get to the door from here". Ouch! It is now clear that Hayden has reach the age where his mother cannot be seen with him. I guess I'll just have to think about my reaction when he next wants to cuddle with me on the couch : ) It's all or nothing buddy!!

Not really. He's a very good cuddle buddy on the couch. I guess if I think back, I dropped JJ off at the corner of the Kindergarten as well. However, I don't think it was as much him not needing me, but me trying to create a game in order to get him to go to school. I would pull up to the curb by the corner, he would jump out, and then run. I would drive S L O W L Y in front of the kindergarten and his game was to see if he could get in the door before I drove by. He always won of course!

Lucas I think is already done with me. Doesn't want to hold my hand while walking across a parking lot (although he is required to hold onto the pocket of my coat), carries his own lunch into preschool, etc. He's very independent. Good grief! I think if he had his way he would drive himself to kindergarten!

No comments: