Family Photo 2012

Family Photo 2012

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mommy night at AWANA

Tonight was mommy night at AWANA. This is always quite interesting because I need to try to fit equal time with each boy and this year they are in all different classes. AWANA is almost 2 hours long, so I spent about thirty minutes with each of my boys. It worked out that I was able to spend the majority of the time with the boys during their game time.
My first half hour was spent with Lucas. I was able to see him say the pledge, say the Cubbie key verses, and sing the Cubbie theme song. Then they began their games. The first game was red light/green light, with the lights represented by colored pins. The children got to take turns being the lights. Here's Lucas with Miss Kris and Zoey. Lucas loved when Miss Kris put her hand on his head giving him the okay to raise his pin and signal the other children to STOP!

I met up with Tanner for the next thirty minutes. AWANA games in the upper grades is very tight competition. GC Alliance church brought home the gold medal at last year's AWANA games, so they're definitely gearing up to win again this year. During AWANA activity time on Wednesday nights, it's the actual competition games that are played. Much less precision than when the games team actually practices, but it's still sometimes wild with excitement.

JJ was my third round of AWANA games and his group is a little less precise and a little less competitive, but they still have a great time. I must say that JJ's group wins the award for loudness - although I may have to assume it was the number of girls in the room that made the most screeching noises. Ear plugs were definitely necessary! JJ's team did very well and he's looking forward to the games again this year. The team begins practice in the next few weeks and the games are in March, so it's time to put the game faces on : )

Hayden's activity time was definitely the most well-laughed thirty minutes I've had in a long time. Definitely not the precision of the older groups, but the effort these children put into the games is just too stinkin' cute...and funny! Their are definitely specific rules to each game, but with the age group it seems that anything goes to a point. There were kids going every which way. Definitely not a dull moment! And Hayden did great!

I always enjoy my time at AWANA with the boys. It's definitely a process to make sure each boy feels like they've gotten their fair share of my time, but I think the 30 minute each rule worked very well. The boys enjoyed showing me their "macho-ness" during the activity time. It's definitely time well spent.

1 comment:

Julia said...

I love how you try to spread out the mom time with all the boys! you are such a great mom!