Family Photo 2012

Family Photo 2012

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Eureka!!!

Attention, Attention: We have finally made a parental breatkthrough!!

Tanner threw a MAJOR tantrum on Monday when he was told to get ready for bed. The holidays and staying up late and sleeping in late really threw him for a loop. However, as he was carrying on and yelling and crying, he yelled at Justin and said, "I don't need you anymore!" Justin was feeling kind of bad about this and I reassured him that it was just a tantrum and that Tanner didn't mean it.

About twenty minutes later, Tanner came out of his room with a note that he laid on the coffee table before going back and getting back into bed. It was an apology note. Justin took the note and headed to Tanner's room to talk with him about his behavior and to thank him for the apology. Here is Tanner's summation of the evening:

You tell me lots of things all the time that I don't like to hear like when you tell me what to do all the time. And tonight I got mad and had a fit. Then I got out my new Bible and was reading about children and their parents. I didn't understand it all, so I found Daddy's Bible and read about how God teaches that he tells parents to teach their children things and to tell them things. I know now that you only tell me those things and make me not do things because you are trying to help me.

Yep, Justin cried. One big step for a child...one giant step in a father's heart!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's AWESOME!!! I love seeing a child's heart open to God's teaching.