I had a sappy ASPCA commercial to thank for a tearful boy at bedtime one night. When I asked him if he was hurt, he nodded yes. I went through his entire body asking if this hurt or that and kept getting no as the response. Confused, I asked if his heart hurt and he said yes. I asked why his heart hurt and he said that people were mean and that animals were special and he asked his dad if he could send in the $18 a day from his Christmas money to help save the sad, hungry, abandoned dogs from the commercial and his dad said no and that hurt his heart. So we talked about a better idea being to find a local animal shelter and calling to see if he could donate a bag of dog food or treats and take them to the shelter to donate. He loved that idea!
So, this prompted a family day out. A little this, a little that, and definitely a stop at Animal Friends in Pittsburgh to help a little boy get a glimpse of what shelters do to help abandoned animals. Thankfully they provide a wish list of items that can be donated, so with that list in hand Lucas went shopping. With boxes of biscuits, some rawhides, and two jars of peanut butter to donate, he excitedly became an Animal Friends Humane Helper. He had a great time checking out all the animals and so did the other boys. Having a pit mix rescue dog at home made it a little sad seeing how many pit mix dogs they have there. Lucas was a little sad we didn't come home with another one but he was glad to have visited them.







No comments:
Post a Comment