Family Photo 2012

Family Photo 2012

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fort Knox, Maine - 4/2/10

On our way to Maine, we crossed this cool bridge and as we turned our heads to look back at it, we noticed this neat fort-like structure positioned right off to the side of it.

Wondering what it was, as we drove by on our way home we decided to stop and check it out.


The fort-like structure really was a real fort! And the bridge was newly built with observatories at the top of the support towers. Neither were open for tours, but the following sign "Grounds open to public" gave us permission to look around.



We didn't follow the trail (anyone surprised?) but instead climbed to the "top" of the fort property. Looking down we could see the whole layout of the lower area. Each of the marks you can see around the outer section are cannon mounts. The boys were very interested in finding out how to get down to that area.

Thus, the stairs to "Battery A" were found a little while later.
Inside Battery A, before going outside onto the field, were cannon mounts placed on angles that the ones outside on the periphery could not reach.

From the top of the Fort, we found these convenient stairs that tooks us into the "outer dry moat". And although the Fort was "closed for the season" my children managed to find a door at the bottom of these stairs that was not padlocked, but was instead propped open. So what did they do? Do you even need to ask? Of course they ran right in!

Now from this picture you must be saying, "Oh it's fine. Looks safe to me."
However, you should know that the only reason we could see this was because I kept taking pictures so my flash would light up the area. Pitch darkness does not a mother like.
Before, I take you on our creepy tour, please note the stairs and walls. Granite? Yep. The entire fort is made of it (I copied some history of the Fort from the website and it's at the end of this entry). The granite was gorgeous. The outside of the fort wasn't in the best condition, but most of the interior walls and stairs were stunning.
Okay, back to creepy land.
To say that I don't like dark, damp, musty, there was a big sign that we're closed places is not saying enough. The inside of this fort was I think the creepiest thing I've ever experienced. If you click on this picture, I think it will get bigger and you can see the look on JJ's face. He was not impressed either.

Lucas was on Justin's shoulders so he had not choice, Tanner was gung ho about exploring, and Hayden clung to his dad's leg. Me? I kept saying, "We really shouldn't be in here. It's closed and we're not supposed to be in here. Do you not think this is creepy? There could be homeless people in here. No one even knows we're here, we're going to get lost in these tunnels, and I only have a Snickers bar in my purse for use to survive until the fort opens in May for tours."
Guided by the light coming in from the itty, bitty windows the boys pressed on. We walked one whole length of the fort before darkness overtook us again and I put the mean mommy, "we aren't going any further" face on and ended their adventure.
(Note: when we walked by the closed up visitor's center/gift shop on our way out, we noticed a sign in the window that said, "Flashlights are necessary in most areas of the fort". Duh!)
I was a much happier camper when we resurfaced into daylight. The fort itself is an awesome structure and we only saw the outside of it. We've decided it may be worth the 12-hour drive to go back sometime (when it's open and with flashlights in hand) and take a tour.
These are the main gates. Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe the boys when they could see inside yet weren't able to get inside to explore.

If you look closely at the picture on the right, you can see a cannon still positioned in the far window.


I call these the little "window things that soldiers could stick their guns out to shoot enemies that don't give very much light when you're walking in the creepy tunnels." I'm sure there is an official military term for these openings, but I'm okay with my own definition.
I'm really glad we stopped to see what this "thing" was. I only wish it had been open so that the kids could have seen more and learned more about the history. While the soldiers here never saw battle, I think this place still holds a place in US military history. Sadly, I think this "1st Fort Knox" has been forgotten. If you had asked me before this trip where Fort Knox was, I would have answered Kentucky. I think unless you're a big military history buff, that will be the answer every time. I'm glad my family can now join the ranks of those who know differently.


History of the 1st Fort Knox - copied from http://www.fortknox.maineguide.com/


Located on the west bank of the Penobscot River in Prospect, Maine, Fort Knox is one of the best preserved fortifications on the New England seacoast.

Maine was repeatedly involved in northeast border disputes with British Canada, and the area between Castine and the rich lumber city of Bangor was invaded and occupied by the British during the American Revolution and the War of 1812. Despite the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842, Fort Knox was established in 1844 to protect the Penobscot River valley against a possible future British naval incursion.
The Fort was designed by Chief Engineer Joseph Totten with a number of other engineers serving as superintendents of construction from 1844-1869. The Fort was named for Major General Henry Knox, America's first Secretary of War, who was born in Boston but retired to Thomaston, Maine in 1796. The Fort garrisoned its first troops from 1863 to 1866. These troops were mostly volunteers undergoing training before being sent to their active posts and included members of the celebrated 20th Maine. Troops were also briefly stationed at the Fort during the Spanish American war in 1898, but never saw military action.
Fort Knox was to be a casement masonry fortification constructed of the finest materials the area could provide. It was designed in the shape of a pentagon with artillery pieces protecting the two "river" sides. As for construction materials, two miles to the west of the Fort's location is Mount Waldo in the town of Frankfort. This 1060-foot mountain is made up almost entirely of granite of various thickness. This provided some of the finest construction materials any of any fortification built at that time. Over the course of 15 years, the Fort took shape. The granite was transported to the site, cut into the required shape, and lifted into place.

In the spring of 1923, the Federal Government declared the 125-acre Fort to be excess property and put it up for sale. The Governor of Maine, Percival P. Baxter, expressed interest in the property. The agreed upon purchase price was $2121. The Maine Legislature passed legislation appropriating the funds and on Dec. 4, 1923, the State of Maine assumed control of the Fort. In 1940, the Fort came under the control of the Parks and Recreation Department. A volunteer group known as the Friends of Fort Knox took over the Fort's care in the 1990's when repair costs became too great for the State to manage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMAZING! WHAT A BETTER HISTORY LESSON THAN FROM A BOOK IN THE CLASSROOM. YOU ARE SUCH AN AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL FAMILY. WE LOVE YOU ALL "OODLES AND OODLES". GRANDMA W.