Family Photo 2012

Family Photo 2012

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Justin's Trip to Texas

For Justin's 30th birthday, I wanted to give him something he wouldn't forget. He and his two friends, Jake and Chris, have been talking for years about meeting in Texas where Jake lives. I called my mom to see what week would work for her to help watch the kids and then called Jake to see what week worked for him. His response when I told him I was sending Justin his way for a few days? "I'll request the week off tomorrow morning!" Within two days, the tickets were purchased and Chris was on board as well. Now we had months to wait and a big secret to keep.

For his birthday (in June), I gave Justin a printout of the United States with Ohio (he flew out of Akron), Georgia (his layover was in Atlanta), and Texas all highlighted. Then there were arrows from each place with his flight number beside them. Across the page it said, "Happy 30th Birthday, Have a great time in Texas!" He looked at it, looked at me, looked at it again and said, "Is this for real?" I think he called both Jake and Chris that day and didn't stop hounding Chris for the six weeks leading up to his departure. Justin was very excited to see Jake, but wished Chris could come as they've been saying for years they would go to Texas together. Chris kept telling Justin that his boss had to work that week, so he couldn't take the time off.

The Sunday before Justin left (7/12/09) was Bonnie's birthday. Her family had a party here in PA for her and the kids and I went to celebrate the day. I told Justin that only Bonnie and the kids were coming up because Chris had to work. We thought we had all our bases covered until I realized Justin would ask the boys how the swim party went...I feared they'd blab about Uncle Chris throwing them in, playing with them, etc. So, I told the boys that they didn't see Uncle Chris that day and to make sure they didn't tell Daddy.

Chris arrived in Texas early Monday morning and Justin arrived in the afternoon. I made Justin call me as he was getting off the plane because I wanted to hear his reaction when he saw both Jake and Chris. It was awesome to hear his shock, excitement, laughter. The plan was complete. The three of them were off...alone...in Texas. Justin jokingly asked if I would send bail money. With all the love I could muster, I told him no.

Another Nu Lamb brother, Andy, lives in Texas, so he stopped by as well. Nate rounded out the bunch when he arrived Wednesday. A wild week of memories. Here are some of the pictures Justin took while there:

Chris, Nate, Justin, Jake

Jake and Nate golfing. Justin said he had a blast golfing
but could have done without the 104 degree weather.



Chris, Jake, and Andy
Jake's taking a picture of Justin taking a picture of them.
It must be noted that Justin's camera is fluorescent pink!!
Thanks to Jake and Chris for helping me plan the surprise. I couldn't have done it without you. Justin's already looking forward to a repeat next year!

No comments: