Tanner has never wanted to talk much about the deaths of Grandma and Grandpa Wise. He always knew I was willing, but would just nod his head. I know he still misses them in the subtle ways he's choosing to remember them.
He loves to bake and does so often. One day, he said he was going to attempt his first ever apple pie and that he was going to use Gma Wise's recipe. When it came out of the oven, he said, "I think she'd be proud." Yes. Yes she would.
When going through the house, I know being tasked with deciding what he wanted to have of Gpa's was hard for him and yet I wasn't surprised what he chose. Certainly not what a typical 15-year-old would want for himself, but his choices reflect his heart and his love for his great-grandfather. He wears Gpa's slippers, even though they're definitely too big and I catch him wearing Gpa's watch every now and then too. It isn't every day and I've often wondered if on the days he is wearing them if those are the days that he's missing them most.



No comments:
Post a Comment