My boys can tell some whoppers, especially JJ and Lucas. They're good whoppers - creative, often exciting, funny, and interesting to listen to. However, because I don't want my kids to grow up to be tall tale tellers, I've made a rule that before anyone in our family tells a story, you must begin by saying, "This is imaginery" or "This is true". So far, so good. Except that when Lucas gets really excited, he'll start his story and then stop midway through and say, "oops, oh yeah, this is imaginery". Or one of the other brothers will yell, "You didn't say it was imaginery". Now, I'm not a genius (or maybe I am - according to Lucas previously in our umbrella incident), but I can usually tell a Lucas whopper from a Lucas truth. But I'm sort of patting myself on the back because I think I've actually made a dumb rule become a lesson that the four of them have actually grasped. Ah, one small step for this mama in the right direction. It feels good.
No comments:
Post a Comment