Family Photo 2012

Family Photo 2012

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wrestling 2014

As much as I hoped and prayed last year that Hayden would hate wrestling or even just not be very good at it (I know that sounds terrible, but I'd had enough of wrestling with David and Blair), he loves it and he's actually pretty good.  He's a strong kid (when he gets mad on the mat, we tell him he goes into Hulk mode which seriously isn't too far from the truth), so once he focuses on technique he could be very good one day.  We're again part of the Grove City Jr. Wrestling Club and this year Hayden moved up to the Advanced Group for practice.  We still only attended novice tournaments for 1st and 2nd year wrestlers, but the coaches felt that the advanced group practice would help keep him moving in the right direction as far as learning good technique.  He'd done really well at each tournament, usually winning the majority of his matches.  He's also racked up quite a few pins.  I think next year I'm actually going to keep track by getting him some kind of cool pins to collect.  We'll see.

So as not to be outdone, Lucas decided he'd wrestle this year, too.  And he's actually done pretty well too.  He's had his fair share of wins by both points and pins, but he's had some losses too and those have made for good teaching moments.  He's taken some losses better than others, but he's learning not to give up anymore when the other kid maybe starts out stronger than him.  As the season's gone on, he's actually made a few incredible comebacks because he's learned not to give up.  He's loving having his own trophies and medals, which means we're going to need to build them both their own shelf soon. 

No comments: